Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Book Review: Anonymous Lawyer by Jeremy Blachman


Anonymous Lawyer by Jeremy Blachman

(from my goodreads review)
Featuring one of the best anti-heroes you might find yourself rooting for, the novel is written in the frame of blog entries and e-mails. As I find it always refreshing to read shifting viewpoints, much less shifting frames, I enjoyed and breezed thru this hilarious novel. More so since the focus of which is the sarcastic and nihilistic anonymous lawyer who does not fail in coming up with brutal ways to treat and talk about his colleagues in the anonymous firm. And yet this was done with enough humor and a dash of humanism which, makes you realize that this is a novel, and a damn funny one at that. I am not lawyer nor a student of law and yet this book made me laugh. I was able to relate.


I even found it thrilling when I got to the point where his quest is revealed, and the question whether he will succeed or not becomes more pressing. As I said I breezed thru it, and though I do not like how his quest ended(not that the ending matters that much), I will score it 4 and a half stars over five.

Notes for comparison

(since this is my first lengthy review and since I feel like writing, and since I will never write a separate review for these books)

1. Other novels with a good use of frame and shifting viewpoints: "Salmon fishing in the Yemen(e-mails "Six Suspects" (varying viewpoints and frames) and "Downtown Owl" (viewpoints)
another one similar to "Anonymous Lawyer" would be "The Visible Man" (e-mails, telephone conversations as journals) 
One of the best would still be "The Castle of Crossed Destinies" by Italo Calvino- (storytellers using the same set of tarot cards to tell different narratives). 
I take it back, at least three of the novels I'm mentioning deserve a separate review- when i get to read them again.
That's all i can remember for now though I'm sure there were/are others- if you have suggestions.(books using different frames/viewpoints)

2 Another novel with a good anti hero - "Notes from the Underground" by Dostoevsky or most of Puzo's mafia novels or the tv series "Breaking Bad"

No comments:

Post a Comment