Friday, January 11, 2019

Almost a Fairy Tale (pt. 1 of 4)


A knight was walking on a beaten path when a womanly cry for help sounded from the distance. At once the knight followed the voice like a predator sniffing its prey. He got there in no time.

Above the tower surrounded by a moat, a lady was shrieking. On the pool, ripples are forming around a set of barely noticeable glowing monster eyes. It could have been from a sea dragon, or a shark.  

The knight drew his blade and in one slash, chopped a nearby tree to serve as a ladder towards the tower. He was exceptionally strong as he carried the log and immediately placed it from one end of the pool to the tower window. He rushed to sound of help but stopped just as he was about to extend his hand to an exceptionally beautiful maiden who, in turn, was happily surprised at his presence.

But before the lady could complete her smile, the knight said:

“Forgive me my lady, but I am not a knight in shining armor. My armor is far from shining, it is battered, it is rusting, and… I must admit, it reeks of sweat and human flesh.”

“what do you mean?” asked the maiden.

“I have been in a war ever since I could lift a wooden sword.”, said the knight inviting himself inside the spacious but messy room. And the endless sieges I have been fighting since then did not afford me enough time to mend the chinks in my armor. I repaired only what was needed for the battles I need to fight.”

(he said this as he was surveying the contents of the room)

“Neither do I shine on the inside: the sweat and human flesh you can smell from my armor may not be from my dead enemies…More than that I may need your help in slaying whatever is below the water. I smell bounty, the kingdom is rife with talk of a water dragon that has been pillaging the swan boats of the park. Yes, my lady I am poor as well, I am no prince who will bring you to my castle. but I will save you, if you help me. Take  this dagger and together we will try to get out of this alive and get a dragon head on the way out”

(hands an iron dagger to the lady and jumps back into the window sill. He extends his hand)

The lady took dagger and continued her smile.

“My dear knight, who ever said I needed a savior?  I was shouting because there was...a cockroach.”

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment