Saturday, January 5, 2019

Our Daily Abyss Episode 1: Single Guy Attends a Wedding

If you are single and you attend a wedding, chances are you will be asked the big question (more so if you are at my age group).
"When is your turn?"

There was a part in the program where the emcee asked for the principal sponsors to share some words of wisdom for the newly weds. The principal sponsors were either too busy eating, left the building or like us in the group -we really had nothing to say aside from sincerely wishing the newly weds the best.

Well, we, who are unmarried what words of wisdom can we share? I recall talking to someone before and finding out that principal sponsors or ninongs and ninangs of the wedding are those who are married themselves.



If it is true, it does make a bit of a sense I think.

For the record, I have been godfather to a christening 7 or so times, groomsman around 7 times I guess, but never a principal sponsor. and I thought with my current status that I could at least be one, just once.

But if I was given the honor to share a word of wisdom for being a principal sponsor, I would pre-empt the question on my singleness and wish the newly weds in one single sweep.

I would wish  them well enough that they will give us a good example of a marriage so that we, the single ones, would have a model to look up to; in effect we would be encouraged to enter into a marriage ourselves.
Thus answering the "when" question and wishing them well all at once.

But, that could be insincere.

Because even if the request is sincere, I doubt the supposed effect is. There are excellent models of marriage out there, we know them. But as to why we are still single, or when are we going to get married is not because of the scarcity of good models of marriages.(make a survey yourself).

Well, even if this was the third wedding I attended in the span of four months,  the number of single friends and family are still more than those who are not thus there are a lot of factors to consider, reasons to make.

So let me list the possible reasons why people are still single:

1. Unpreparedness - financially, emotionally, physically (I am not yet sexy af to wear that particular dress)
2. Not yet found the right one. but I am the right one  for anyone (I am sure of it)
3. I'm too busy with work or school or both. I'm just busy bakit ba?
4. I really do not believe in marriage
5. I was married once. I won't make that mistake twice.
6. We just broke up. Why? that is none of your business.
7. I already have a kid- either a marriage/relationship will unnecessarily complicate my life, or I secretly believe that I do not deserve it
8. I cannot afford an annulment.
9. I just want to mingle, that is why I'm still single.
10. I am waiting for same-sex marriage to be legal. There is forever.

And the list goes on.  But as to why people get married, here is a list for that.
Love.
Money.
 Power.

Forgive my simple list, I am not a nihilist. But another single guy that goes by the name of William of Ockam invented this razor because he believes that the simplest explanation is always the best.

Well, that says a lot. Perhaps marriage simplifies things? and being single complicates things?
I don't know, you tell me. (I am already sleepy)

No comments:

Post a Comment